Established in 1917
Shields, Harper & Co., a California corporation, was established in 1917 by Harold Shields and Locke Harper selling rubber fuel hoses to Standard Oil Company of California (now commonly known as Chevron). Throughout the ensuing decades, we have added many products and services to our quiver of solutions which include tanks, dispensers, nozzles, valves, piping and in recent years POS payment systems and facility management software. We also offer technical services such as CAD drawings and environmental requirements analysis.
Headquarters in 1938
Headquarters in 2010
After 62 years in Oakland, the company moved to its Martinez, California location which currently serves as global headquarters. Presently there are seven other branch office/warehouse locations covering the Western U.S. in Fresno, Las Vegas, Orange, Phoenix, Reno, West Sacramento and San Diego.
Shields, Harper was privately held from 1917 through 1959 when it was acquired by the Symington Wayne Corporation, a New York Stock Exchange traded manufacturer of fuel dispensers. In 1968, the Wayne Corporation was acquired by Dresser Industries and Shields, Harper became a division of Dresser. Shortly after Dresser sold all of its distribution operations (including the Shields, Harper division). The company became an ESOP (employee-owned company) in 1992. As of 2017, more than 80% of the company's employees own stock in the company.
Serving the Energy Industry
Shields, Harper continues to be a leader serving every facet of the energy handling industry. Its integrated systems are installed in airports, fleets, commercial and retail sites throughout the Western United States. Contractors, architects, designers, and engineers depend upon the expertise of Shields, Harper's technical staff to help them specify equipment and design systems appropriate for the highly regulated areas in which they operate.